Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lookalikes (Finally, I can play too!)

I've long loved blogs where savvy readers pointed out cover similarities - especially where the cover twins were of different genres. For some examples, try Pop Culture Junkie or less searchable, but always entertaining (and smart!) Bookshelves of Doom. There's tons more, but you get the idea.

Now, finally, we Georgers get to play Lookalikes! Fellow blogger Katie has been asking people how Philip Reeve's Fever Crumb looks familiar - is it her Katsa-style intense eyes? Her androgynous looks? The hood? Do we know someone like this (obviously with awesome fashion sense)?
And we have come up with two answers:Sally Lockhart, of Ruby in the Smoke - Classic!

Elsha, of Winter of Fire - Sadly out of print, though I loved it so in middle school.

And as we were debating the meaning and interpretations of intense glares and hooded characters, a few more books came in...
Top: Deb Caletti's new paperback, The Secret Life of Prince Charming, and bottom, For Keeps by Natasha Friend.

Obviously they're not identical, but these photos must be from the same photo shoot. Not just any model can carry that adorable orange sweater. (Disclaimer: I would totally read these books because I love boys in orange, and I'm not ashamed that fact can influence me).

It just makes me wonder. Publishers have talented artists, photographers and designers on board, as well as sales people that decide what style cover is best suited for selling a book - and I'm not criticizing their abilities or purposes in any way. But it does make me think that more often than not covers are being used to sell by association (Look, Ma, this black and red book looks just like Twilight...), rather than content (Look, Ma, this book is about a free spirit kind of girl who climbs trees and doesn't wear shoes). Of course, we are a bookstore in the business of selling books, but I don't like to think that it should be all about Business - there should be more magic in finding books than liking the hairstyle or cardigan of the girl on the front. If cover familiarity helps a reader find a great book, that's great, and if an original, totally weird cover helps a reader find a great book, that's great, too. The point, obviously, is readers finding those great books that they're going to want to read while they're brushing their teeth.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm convinced Fever Crumb moonlights as a Hollywood starlet. The problem is, which one? Natalie Portman? Keira Knightley? I'm stumped.