Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What Rachel Wants For a Snowy Day

It's already started snowing outside, and Boston is expecting up to a foot of fluffy white--so I've got my eye on some fun items to keep me busy in case I'm snowed in tomorrow!


Meanwhile by Jason Shiga
$15.95
Located in the Chapter Book Room on the New Titles spinner

This brand-new comic isn't like anything I've seen before, and I see a lot of comics. Meanwhile is a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-style comic that begins innocently enough at an ice cream shop, but ends in any number of bizarre, funny, crazy situations based on what choices you make. Colored lines lead you from one panel to the next and from page to page via tabs, making a reading experience like no other! So far in my perusal, I've eaten chocolate ice cream, met a mad scientist, and read his thoughts using one of his inventions. I wonder what choices I have to make to reach the giant orange squid I spotted when I was flipping through?

Aside from fun art and amazing layout, one of the small advantages to the system of tabs is that it makes it easy to turn straight to the page your choice lands you on--there's less chance of accidentally seeing things that might happen later on in your adventure, because there's no searching through for page numbers. The pages are glossy and sturdy enough to withstand the many readings that this book begs for, it's neither too big to carry around nor too small to properly see the art, and it even has an instruction page to help you sort out the unique reading method. I can't wait to snuggle into a blanket with some hot chocolate and try it out!


Lucky Dragon and Phoenix 3D Puzzle by Puzzled
$14.95
Ages 8+
Located downstairs in the Chapter Book Room

We have a variety of wooden 3D puzzles here at the store, but this one is by far my favorite. With 147 pieces to fit together, it's a surefire way to keep busy on a rainy or snowed-in day, and when you're finished, you've got a really cool and intricate conversation piece to hang up or display on the included stand. Best of all, the lightweight pieces are unpainted, making the puzzle more challenging and also giving the puzzler the opportunity to paint it to his or her own tastes (not to mention that a coat of paint after assembly will help the pieces hold together tightly). This puzzle measures 4"L x 12"W x 16"H, and comes with assembly instructions, as well as fun googly eyes to add a little personality to the dragon and phoenix!


This is Rachel, signing off on a snowy day--catch you next time!

No comments: