Sunday, August 15, 2010

Introducing Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Once in a while you find a book that feels like it’s written just for you; this is one of mine.

After reading Shiver (see "Thirsty for New Teen Fantasy?"), I thought I might expire from anticipation before Maggie Stiefvater's next Wolves of Mercy Falls book came out. I am still kicking thanks to Nikki Mutch at Scholastic, who went out of her way to send me an ARC several months ago and saved me from untimely death. (Thanks, Nikki!)

In Shiver, Grace meets Sam, who's an adorable musician -- at least when the temperature's above freezing. He spends the whole winter as a wolf in the woods around Mercy Falls, waiting for spring and his humanity to return. When it turns out each werewolf gets a limited (and unknown) number of years before being stuck as a wolf forever, Grace, Sam, and their friends make a desperate attempt to reverse the change.

In Linger, Grace's first encounter with the wolf pack comes back to haunt her. Meanwhile, tough-girl Isabel and newcomer Cole add two more narratives to Sam's and Grace's. Indie music, poetry, and a thousand paper cranes add just the right amount of sweetness to balance suspense. These are the most lovable, heart-wrenching werewolves since Remus Lupin. Like Grace, Sam, and Cole, I'm addicted to words and music, so I can't wait to get the playlists onto my mp3 player (to listen during subsequent reads).

Now what am I gonna do until the third book, Forever, comes out... um, forever from now?

No comments: