Saturday, January 9, 2010

What Rachel Wants to Buy This Week - Episode 31

It's cold outside, and I've entered that post-Christmas wintertime daze. So I've picked out a few indoor activity items to chase away the midwinter blahs!


Wooden Stringing Beads by Melissa & Doug
$17.95
Located downstairs in the Chapter Book Room

This set of wooden beads is a huge bit of nostalgia for me--when I was in high school, all the cool kids had keychains and necklaces with chunky letter beads that spelled out their names or any number of other messages (mine said "Let Freedom Ring," not out of any particular patriotism, but because my high school was actually called Freedom). This bead set is much the same, except the beads are wood instead of the ceramic I remember--lighter, more durable, and natural! In addition to a full complement of letters, there are fun-shaped beads in awesome bright colors, and lanyard included to string them on. Of course, awesome company that they are, M&D has also included activities on the back of the kit aimed at younger children, suggestions to help teach letter, color and shape recognition, counting, and fine motor skills. So thanks, Melissa & Doug, for bringing back the trend I remember in an even better form than before! Maybe I'll come up with some other clever phrase to string onto my purse for my tenth reunion this summer....



Shape, Model and Mold set by Melissa & Doug
$21.95
Located downstairs in the Art Room

Another great idea from M&D, this set makes me itch to open it up and play right here at the Chapter Book Room counter (not to mention makes me want to sing Shake, Rattle and Roll). It includes four little tubs of modeling dough in red, green, yellow and blue, and a host of wooden tools for pressing shapes and patterns into your dough creations. Rolling pins, patterned blocks, a wheel press reminiscent of a grown-up sculpting set, and even cute animal molds pressed into the lids of the dough tubs are all tempting and exciting creative opportunities.



Also, for even more color options and mold shapes, try a 4-pack of Supersoft Dough by Alex to complement the fun!





Ok folks, that's it for this week. See you again soon!

No comments: