Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Probably the most exciting thing I've seen all week. And it's only Tuesday.

I remember seeing briefly a link from bookshelves of doom blog-wonderland to Diana Peterfreund's blog, about the trials and rewards of finding perfect cover art. (This was before the Liar cover explosion). But even that hilarious stumbled upon moment couldn't have prepared me for seeing this new book on the shelf. Are you ready?


Isn't that just GREAT? Peterfreund says - after numerous tries - they finally came up with a perfect Graceling-meets-Uglies cover, and I see a little bit The Hero and the Crown...but maybe that's because I think it's a rare female-protagonist fantasy that is as incredible as Aerin's story (middle school biases never die).

Beyond the stunning cover is an even more tantalizing premise: Killer unicorns. That's all I'm going to say. And that's all you really need, right? I'm sold! I've been in a bit of a reading slump, working through grown-up books because I just couldn't bring myself to try out one of the many vampire/werewolf/Faustian books out there now - more because of my finicky mood, rather than any judgment on the quality of those unread books. (Speaking of, check out the new TV-show tie-in paperbacks of The Vampire Diaries, and, yes, in fact, there is Another Faust, co-written by Daniel and Dina Nayeri). But give me a strong-willed girl character, humor, adventure, romance, (that's not a tall order yet, is it?)...and killer unicorns, and I'm there!

I'll give a better review once I've actually read it - but just look at that cover. Read it along with me.

No comments: