Tuesday, March 22, 2011

For the competitor in all of us...

I love this month, honestly, I do. Kids in rain boots, the occasional sunny day to eat lunch in the Brattle square park, and all kinds of entertaining brackets! I know I already blogged about Persephone Magazine's Middlemarch Madness, with readers voting on their favorite female characters from Shakespeare to Hunger Games. That "madness" is down to the Sweet Sixteen - I just voted between Hermione Granger and Lyra Belacqua. (Whew!).

School Library Journal's annual Battle of the Kids Books has also begun, with some quite notable authors as judges (Karen Hesse! R.L. Stine! Mitali Perkins!). There are no specific rules for the decision, each judge chooses which requirements are crucial: child appeal, plot and character complexity, level of fun or potential for being enduring classic, or whichever other factors they favor. Regardless of your favorites, there are always great reviews and comments for each book.

No comments: